Storm Alert

Grand Finale

Avengers: Endgame provides a thrilling conclusion to 11 years of cinematic storytelling

Back to Article
Back to Article

Grand Finale

Lincoln Parks, Co-Editor in Chief

Eleven years. Over the course of eleven years, Marvel Studios has released a total of 22 movies, all culminating in the recently released Avengers: Endgame. Endgame has been marketed as the finale of this chapter of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. With all the pre-release buzz and fan hype surrounding this movie, does it live up to expectations?

Continuing from where it left off in last year’s Avengers: Infinity War, Endgame’s story takes place in a world where Thanos has wiped out 50% of the population. Desperate, defeated, and depressed, the surviving Avengers must find a way to set things right, no matter what it takes. The darker tone of the film’s intro provides an interesting feeling to the story, and contrasts the cheerful, fun tone of previous Marvel movies. There’s still humor, and the majority of the jokes land, but the darker tone of the film makes the stakes feel very real.

The main cast of Avengers, notably including Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., and Scarlett Johansson, reprise their classic roles, continuing to bring life to the iconic comic book characters in their final movie. For longtime fans, seeing the ways these characters have grown and changed over the years has been a treat, and this movie does not skimp on character development. Familiar faces get new looks, and deal with the aftermath of Thanos’ snap in their own ways.

This is the most I can summarize of Endgame without entering spoiler territory. Endgame is a film that works best on a theater screen with an eager audience and its many twists and turns concealed. The plot is riveting, and the intimidating 3 hour run time flies by in no time at all. There are highs, lows, and a multitude of emotional moments that will bring tears to even casual fans’ eyes. Just like its predecessor, the second part of the Infinity Saga boasts impressive visuals, creating a completely immersive world where I was able to suspend my disbelief.

I can happily say that Avengers: Endgame lives up to the hype built by its predecessors. It will go down in history as a cultural phenomenon of the early 2000’s, and is already shattering box office records with its profits. Superhero movies have come a long way since their conception. They have gone from a niche, nerdy fandom to a nationwide obsession. Avengers: Endgame is the best the genre has to offer, and should not be missed. This is a movie that must be seen to be believed, and I cannot recommend it enough.