Surviving finals week:

Tips on how to give that final push

Surviving finals week:

As one TikTok put it, the few weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas break are like the super fast music on the last lap of Mario Kart: pure chaos. At this point in approaching the end of semester, students are too busy rushing to finish those giant projects assigned in every class that they have not even thought about their upcoming finals. Yet, the stress of school doesn’t have to take away from the joy of this season. Here’s a few tips on how to survive finals week:

1. Make it fun! It’s so much easier to give that final push with little rewards for yourself everyday. For example, my friends and I treat each other to breakfast every day of finals week. Whether it’s doing a secret santa, a “study” session at Scooter’s, or even just wearing a fun pair of Christmas socks everyday, give yourself something to look forward to this finals week. It doesn’t have to be anything big, just something that will get you excited for the next day.
  2. Visit https://rogerhub.com/final-grade-calculator/: finals are different for every class, but the majority of the time, they cannot impact your grade unless you are on the edge of another letter. Check with your teachers and this website to see how much you really need to get on your final to get your ideal grade. In most cases, finals do not weigh enough to dramatically change your semester grade. If this is true for you, just relax and don’t stress about something with little consequences. 
  3. Study: if you are one of those people who needs a good grade on their final for that extra boost, definitely prepare yourself! Use Quizlets, review guides, and group study sessions to understand the material. While it’s always helpful to study the night before the test, prepare ahead of time so that you can save the night before for just reviewing- not relearning- all of the information. 
  4. Don’t stress: it’s easy to get overwhelmed in the midst of finals, but remember that you are much more than a grade! Teachers are flexible in most cases, and one bad grade will not end any future chances of success. Everyone is in the same boat as you, so reach out if you are stressed or need an extra boost of confidence.  

Hopefully these tips will help you take a deep breath during this upcoming week. My first finals freshman year, I had no idea what to expect and was terrified. I got through it, and so will you. After all, it’s only two official days of testing; just think about the 16 days full of Hallmark movies and Christmas fun that await you at the end!