Storm Alert

Filed under Opinion, Uncategorized

Was James Madison an idiot?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Was James Madison an idiot?

Schafer, (STUDENT) Joseph

Schafer, (STUDENT) Joseph

Schafer, (STUDENT) Joseph

In the era of 24 hour news, constitutionality is a term that is thrown about, but what really does the constitution say? Why has the Constitution become a unifying rallying cry for justice? Our forebears laid out an idealistic view of good government and enumerated these guiding principles in a document that would guide the free world for centuries.

These ideals wherein were left vague, and with it, came great power to the American people in their right to self determination and the equal protection under the law, the law securing the dreams which reside in our hearts, regardless of the country of your birth, the color of your skin, or the God of your prayers. I concede that America’s track record in the maintenance of this ideal has been partially unsuccessful, but the fault lies not with our beacon upon a hill, but rather those who have abused their authority, and now must crumble beneath the force of history’s scorching truths.

The Supreme Court ruled slavery constitutional. It was not. The Supreme Court held that torture of enemy combatants was constitutional. It was not. Our justice system has shot thirty four unarmed people this year, upheld by the Constitution. It is not. It was declared that banning people on the basis of religion or ethnicity is constitutional in Trump v. Hawaii. It is not. Washington has always abused their influence, but the Constitution is not to blame. The people are. The Constitution has no conscience and no moral stature. The citizens must uphold its values, not abdicate its responsibility for the sake of convenience. Blood does not stain the Constitution, but rather composes the very fibers of its well worn parchment, the sacrifices made for the ideas espoused within this pillar of American Doctrine.

With twenty seven total amendments, the Constitution is always changing to the will of the people, and facilitates their right to revolutionize the government that stands before their judgement.

Moreover, while there was fear of giving the executive branch too much power, it is, by far, the most accountable governing body in human history, as compared to both monarchies and dictatorships, as well as our courts and statehouses. This is the two-fold beauty of the Constitution.
Namely, the idea that by not singling out individual rights, all rights are protected, that those who protect those rights must be a group of individuals accountable to the will of the people. Alas, the will of the people shall ring true and clear until our nation’s final labored breath.

Despite discord among statesmen and constituents, we are united by the binding common law of the United States, the American Dream enveloped in its reassuring folds. America is not perfect. America is an experiment. As an experiment, it is dependent on the citizens of the United States to pursue a country that is unified under human goodness. The aim of the Constitution was to create a “More perfect union.” I am proud to say that every day, despite our nation’s many flaws, our country moves forward in the constant pursuit of a more perfect union.