The Student News Site of Elkhorn South High School

Storm Alert

Storm Alert

Storm Alert

2023 HOCO Recap

Reporter Shrimayi Gillella recaps Spirit Week

This year’s Spirit Week themes are one of a kind. Starting strong on a Monday was the classic Adam Sandler day. There was a significant amount of students and staff that dressed up for this occasion. The typical outfit was baggy, extra long shorts, an oversized t-shirt, and sunglasses. The best-dressed senior, according to the storm alert, went to Ava Powers. It was really fun to watch students dress up for the beginning of spirit week. 

One of the most unique days out of this spirit week is Barbie Tuesday. Inspired by the recent Barbie movie, the student council has fit in the Barbie theme for our awesome homecoming week. In addition to students wearing all shades of pink, the intercom also played the iconic Barbie music. Some students also wore a Ken-inspired outfit. Some students also wore Barbie in different occupations, inspiring the phrase: “You can be who you want to be.” 

The next day was class t-shirt/color day. Each grade level was assigned a class color and had the option to wear an ordered t-shirt that the school designed. Freshmen were assigned yellow, sophomores were assigned navy, juniors were assigned white, seniors were assigned black, and the staff were assigned gray. Students also wore necklaces and accessories that matched their class colors. There was an exceptional amount of students that showed their spirit today! 

To get Friday hyped up, we did anything but backpack Thursday. Students brought different types of bags for their school supplies. From coolers to sleds, the options were endless. One of the most common ones that was seen was the classic suitcase. Some students even brought animal cages! 

Lastly, to prep us for Friday night lights, we did Neon Day! Students wore all types of neon clothing to show their school spirit. In addition to Neon Day, Elkhorn South also presented the homecoming pep rally. This is where the candidates for homecoming king and queen were announced. 

To end the week, Storm had another victory against Central.