Storm Alert

Take my phone, please

Back to Article
Back to Article

Take my phone, please

Olivia Wilke, Journalism Contributor

My phone is attached to my hand nearly 24 hours a day, and if it isn’t, it’s in a shoe organizer or box in a classroom. The times that it’s somewhere else other than next to me is when I’m most productive. Teachers everywhere should be willing to keep a small bin for students to put their phones into so that they will be more productive in classrooms.

Many studies show that students who use their phones in class score significantly lower than students who don’t use their phones in class. Phones in class distract students from learning the material and keep them focused on Snapchat or Instagram.

Of course there are some times where students may need their phones to contact a parent. If it is a big emergency, they could always ask for their phones to use to take care of the issue. There’s other times where teachers may let students use their phones for a certain activities in class. Kids will always receive their phones at the end of class, so sitting through a 50 minute lecture is not the end of the world.

Some people other than me believe that phones should stay in class and in their hands. “It makes me feel more prepared and ready if I ever get a text from someone important,” junior Payton Grove claims. While it is true that it is faster and easier to reply when a phone is in hand, it always is good to keep one’s mind focused on their work.

There are certain teachers that allow a student to keep their phones with them if they let the teacher know in advanced that there is a problem going on at home. Of course, that student will have to keep paying attention to the lecture that’s going on in class, and the teacher will always be sure of that unless the student says otherwise.

Above all, cell phones should be taken in all classes, unless there are specific reasons not to. Cell phones are a distraction to students everywhere and many of their grades are suffering because of it. Taking away cell phones during class will ensure that student’s grades and GPA will stay up to par and impressive for college applications.